General Requirements for a Marriage Licence
- Valid passports.
- If either party was married previously and widowed, a certified copy of the marriage certificate and death certificate in respect of the deceased spouse.
- If either party was divorced, an original Decree Absolute OR certified copy of the Final Judgments, NOT the Decree Nisi.
- All documents not in English must be accompanied by a translation certified by an authorized Notary Public (NOT a Justice of the Peace).
- A letter from the marriage officer who has agreed to perform the marriage ceremony (provided by Tropical Weddings).
- Persons under the age of sixteen (16) cannot be legally married in Barbados. For persons between the ages of sixteen (16) and eighteen (18), the consent of both parents must be obtained and both parents must be present at the time of the application.
- Original deed poll if either party has had a name change.
- Persons eighteen (18) years and older do not require parental consent.
If you are getting married in a church other documents would need to be organized ahead of time - please click here for a list of these documents.